Table of contents:
From a very young age, mothers instill in us the almost religious care and cleanliness of that important part of our body that is the vagina. As one of the centers that defines our femininity from a physical point of view, the health of the vagina is key for our well-being and for the good state of our sexual life. And one of the most common vaginal conditions, and also the least known to us, is vaginitis, which is the medical term for vaginal infection.
Causes of vaginal infection
There are many causes, but the three most common infections are fungal infections, bacterial vaginosis, and trichomoniasis (caused by a parasite). Each type of vaginitis should receive a different treatment, so it is important that you see your doctor if you notice any signs of infection. There are cases when infections do not show any symptoms, and are only detected by the doctor during a regular exam, but in many cases vaginal secretions are the first telltale sign. Although secretions are generally normal, any changes they experience can be an alarm signal.
You may have a vaginal infection if:
You have secretions different from your normal secretions
- You feel burning or vaginal itching
- You experience pain or irritation when you urinate or have sex
- You detect a strong and unusual vaginal odor
How to prevent vaginitis
Going back to the beginning of this note, once again our mothers are right: the best way to avoid a vaginal infection is to maintain hygiene. However, in such a delicate area, it's not just about cleaning for cleaning's sake. Here are some key tips for proper vaginal grooming:
- Say no to douches, which upset the natural balance of organisms in the vagina and may even aggravate an infection. Instead, you should wash the outside with soap and dry thoroughly.
- Avoid scented vaginal soaps, bubble baths, tampons, powders, and deodorants, which can cause irritation and lead to infection.
- To combat moisture and feel cooler, choose cotton underwear instead of synthetic. And never wear wet or overly tight underwear!