When we talk about having healthy and strong nails, we must bear in mind that it is not only to do manicures regularly, we must also consider our diet and our habits or conditions to which we expose them.
We spoke with Joaquín Manuel Vega, educator and manicurist expert at Avant Garde Salon and Spa in Miami, and he listed the reasons why our nails may be weak and brittle:
Joaquín Manuel explained to us that the causes of brittle nails do not have so much to do with the activities we do, but rather with:
Diet: You must be sure to include vitamins A and vitamin B, iron, protein, zinc and calcium in your diet.
- Health conditions: For example: anemia, hypo or hyperthyroidism, poor circulation and rheumatism, are diseases that affect the health of our nails.
- External attacks: When you constantly expose them to chemical products, detergent, disinfectant, etc., as well as a lot of contact with water.
Now, how should we prevent our nails from weakening?
Use rubber gloves: Detergents and hot water are very bad for your hands and nails, the chemical of the first and the temperature of the second softens them and makes them more vulnerable to problems.
- Eat more protein: Both nails and hair are made of protein. If there is a deficit, then you need to consume more of this nutrient, which is found for example in meat, leafy vegetables and soy.
- Consume fatty acids: They are also very important to keep nails healthy and strong. You can find them in eggs, whole milk, nuts, all vegetables, butter and as a supplement in flax oil.
- Visit your manicurist: Your manicurist will help you keep your nails healthy. This beauty specialist will notice when your nails need any special care.
- Do not use them as tools: Do not use them to open cans, scrape or any other action that weakens them.
What perfume to choose according to the type of occasion
“There is no doubt that well-groomed nails and hands are our best letter of introduction, both for women and men. That is why it is very important that you take care of them and keep them healthy,”said Joaquín Manuel. "In addition, we must consider them as one more accessory that adorn us and make us look and feel beautiful," added the expert.