Table of contents:
- Having beautiful and healthy hair is not impossible, you just have to know how to take care of it according to the type of hair you have
- If your hair suffers from frizz
- Unruly and curly hair
- Battered or burned
- Weak, fine and straight
Having beautiful and healthy hair is not impossible, you just have to know how to take care of it according to the type of hair you have
For this we have spoken with Edwin Santiago, expert stylist at Avant Garde Salon and Spa in Miami, and he gave us some excellent recommendations that will help you take care of your hair and keep it in top condition. "Beautiful hair begins with the correct routine," said the expert.
If your hair suffers from frizz
Shampoo and conditioner: The reason for frizz is a lack of hydration, and this makes hair brittle and unruly. You should use a shampoo and conditioner that contain moisturizers, such as hyaluronic acid or glycerin and ingredients that help seal the hair cuticle, that is, the outer layer, this will prevent moisture loss.
- Treatment: once a week: Use a hair straightening mask with rice proteins or vegetable proteins.
- How to style it: Avoid products that contain high levels of alcohol, Santiago pointed out. Alcohol can damage the protective cuticle barrier.
- Best cut: Make sure your stylist always uses scissors, never a razor, which can create a faint effect at the ends and make your hair appear more frizz, says the expert.
- Treatment: If you have fine hair, spray the strands with a leave-in conditioner containing amodimethicone and cetrimonium chloride immediately after showering to add shine and hydration. For thick or coarse hair, use a conditioning mask with natural oils and butters once or twice a week.
- How to style it: For defined but smooth curls, apply a moisturizing and / or anti-frizz cream with dimethicone from the roots to the ends, then run a wide-tooth comb through the hair to distribute the product evenly. Then spray to enhance curls (for fine hair) or gel or mousse (for thick hair) and comb from roots to ends again.
- Best Cut: Curls and waves need weight to look smooth and loose, so the ideal style should be at or below the collarbone. To prevent it from becoming too heavy, your stylist should add a few long layers.
- Treatment: Once a week, use a reconstructive or restorative mask that contains proteins, amino acids and natural oils.
- How to style it: The best way to prevent further damage is to reduce thermal styling or chemical processing. When you blow dry, flat iron or curl your hair, use the lowest setting for temperature and prepare it with a thermal protector formulated with dimethicone, a silicone that acts as a buffer between heat and hair.
- Best cut: You can avoid having to cut two to three inches of damage in a single session, getting a cut every eight weeks, which will keep the ends even and clean. Choose a blunt cut with a little layering that requires minimal styling.
- Treatment: A healthy scalp is essential to nourish the hair follicles so that they produce thicker and stronger strands. Twice a week, apply a scalp mask or serum that contains natural oils (such as almonds and coconut) and fruit extracts.
- How to style it: The best body builder is a mousse to give volume. Unlike a spray (which adds lift right at the roots), a mousse (look for PVP, hydrolyzed quinoa, and protein on the ingredient list) also plumps up the cuticle to create a thicker, fuller look everywhere. Apply from root to tip, then brush.
- Best Cut: A bob that falls slightly between the jaw and clavicle will give you more movement and volume. Avoid long layered styles, which can make hair look thin or stringy.
Unruly and curly hair
Shampoo and conditioner: the key to defining curls well? Hydrate them. Avoid washing your hair too often, this takes away its natural oils. When using shampoo, be sure to use a softening conditioner formulated with moisturizing ingredients such as glycerin, hyaluronic acid, seaweed extract, apricot oil, or coconut oil.
8 types of bangs that make you look younger (PHOTOS)
Battered or burned
Shampoo and conditioner: Unlike skin, hair cannot repair itself. Once it has been damaged due to excessive heat styling, frequent dyeing, or overprocessing, the only solution is to cut it. But if you want to temporarily strengthen your hair, you can use a shampoo and conditioner with keratin (a nourishing protein), which will help strengthen weak strands.
Weak, fine and straight
Shampoo and conditioner: To avoid the weight of the hair, choose a shampoo without fats, oils or silicones. You can also use a conditioner with PVP (a thickening polymer) or hydrolyzed wheat or vegetable proteins, which bind to your hair and make it look fuller.