Table of contents:
The acne problem is due to the sebaceous glands of the skin producing an excess of sebum, to which dirt and oil from the skin are added.
When this happens, we must know what is causing it. “The first thing is to determine the causes. The functioning of hormones, metabolism and in the most serious cases that require oral medications, must be evaluated by blood tests and imaging, the function of the liver and kidneys must be evaluated, "explains Dr. Maribel Pedrozo, La alchemist of beauty.
According to Pedrozo, a specialist in facial care, the most common causes of adult acne can be:
- Lack of sleep is an enemy of the skin.
- In women it is common that in the days before menstruation you notice that your skin becomes more oily and that some pimples begin to appear. That is because during the premenstrual period there is an imbalance in the sex hormones that can cause an increase in acne.
- Just like during the menstrual period, during menopause, so it is common for some women to suffer from acne due to testosterone and estrogen levels.
- During the first months of pregnancy.
- Some medications, such as certain antidepressants or contraceptives, can cause acne as a side effect.
- A poorly balanced diet can cause skin disorders.
- Occlusion of the pores or sebaceous follicles of the face by creams, ointments or greasy cosmetics that lead to the formation of comedones (blackheads).
- Moisturizing cream is your best ally.
- Try to use little makeup and always oil free; also if you do not touch your face too much, you will avoid dirtying it.
- For mild cases, Pedrozo recommends gels with pimple-reducing substances, called topical retinoids, special antibiotics, and topical anti-inflammatories.
- If the case is more serious, the use of medications ranging from special oral antibiotics to systemic retinoids such as oral isotretinoin is recommended. If there is a hormonal problem, special contraceptives, antiandrogens, or the combination of both are used.
- Another recommendation is to avoid creams, ointments, heavy bases such as theater makeup or greasy bases.
- Do not use compact powders. Most bases and compact powders worsen acne.
- Do not pinch or squeeze the affected area.
- Decrease stress.
- Establishing a healthy diet and exercise lower stress levels that would help acne.
How can we avoid or improve the problem of acne?
It is very important to pay special attention to cleaning your face to remove dirt and superficial oil.
Whatever may be the cause of your acne problem, it is always advisable to visit your dermatologist to determine the true cause and establish the correct treatment.